Saturday, January 29, 2011

Things you can't see

In two weeks Tom and I will be going to Denmark to visit my family. It has been a long time coming, and a lot of changes have taken place over there. My parents bought a new house, my nephew is a year older, and my brother and his wife had twin babies last April. I am looking forward to seeing them all, to meeting the two little miracles, and to playing with Jaron. What just hit me, though, is that Denmark is in reality just as far away as God and Jesus, I can't see them, or touch them, but none the less, I know they are real, and that I love them. Just because I cannot play with Jaron every day, or pick him up from daycare does not mean that he is not real, or that I don't love him. I do, I know that he is being played with, picked up, and loved. The same holds true for Julius and Clara, I have not met them, but I know in my heart that they exist, and that I love them, that they are loved and cared for even if I cannot do it in person. C S Lewis said something similar when comparing God with New York City. Just because he hasn't seen it, or isn't there, does not mean that it does not exist, he knows it does.

When I initially started my blog, one of the things included in it was a search for a meaning with life, for something more. A couple of years ago I had a hard time coming to terms with this being all there was, a life with MD, and then nothing! I set out reading a bunch of different books, asking a bunch of different questions, I played Devil's Advocate (I still ask a lot of questions and I still play Devil's advocate)but at some point I determined that I could no longer deny the existence of God. By accepting the existence of God I also had to look into this Jesus guy. Who was or is Jesus? What did he do that should convince me that he is the son of God? What has he done for me to make me bow down and worship him?

I am no New Testament Scholar, I am a math teacher. Just like my students need to trust me and believe me when I tell them how to solve an equation, I need to trust the Scholars when they tell me what Christ did, and which historical proofs there are. I used to say that I could not deny the historical existence of Christ, I did not think he was the son of God, that was just ridiculous. He was in my eyes a very good person and a really good teacher. Lewis, however, spent very little time shooting that one down, according to him there are only two options, Jesus was either who he claimed to be, or a madman.

By admitting that I believe that God exists, I cannot deny that Jesus was the son of God. I have put myself in a place where I must either completely deny God or accept Him and Jesus as a part of my life. I have chosen the acceptance. I hope that God and Jesus will be willing to help me figure out where to go from here, I mean, I am taking a turn I never thought I would take. I am not sure what changes it will bring if any. I asked someone if I am still allowed to get angry with God and Jesus and ask why because of the MD, and I was told that yes I am. I guess the difference will have to be for me to stop fighting the wrong battles, slow down and listen. Living life with MD sucks, but believing that something better is waiting for me, makes it easier. I have nothing to loose but everything to gain!

The search for a church we started before Christmas did not take very long. In a previous post I compared theology to beer and said how I have no trouble telling good beer from bad beer. Whereas I don't think we really experienced any bad theology in any of the churches we attended, we did run into a place with a very solid theology and decent seats. How did I know? It just tasted right, one was all I needed!

You can check out the church at http://www.cptchurch.com

Enjoy your weekend, it is going to be around 70 here for the first time since....I don't remember. Once the house has been cleaned I am going to pour me a Coke Zero and watch Tom rake and burn the leaves from last year ;-)

P
Contact email keepinghopejourney@gmail.com

1 comment:

  1. ALEALUIA!!!! ALEALUIA!!! PRAISE THE LORD FOR ANSWERED PRAYERS! I am THRILLED I will get to be with you in heaven. Let me assure you, your life (and after life) is FOREVER changed!
    So happy for you! Love you Lots sister! Although, it seems I haven't talked to you in forever!

    The LORD lives! Praise be to my Rock! Exalted be God my Savior!
    Psalm 18:45-47

    ReplyDelete