Saturday, September 18, 2010

Quality time with Oakley

Some of you have at times shook your heads at me, and at my fascination with all the little critters you inevitably run into when you live by the woods in Florida. I may be a little crazy, but I can't help but name them, and become attached to them. We have a couple of skinks living in the carport, I named both Hammy as I can't tell them apart, the Danes reading this may follow my reasoning in naming the skinks Hammy since skink kind of sounds like the Danish word for ham. Anyway, last summer we had a snake that took up residence between the screen and the window pane in one of our living room windows. We have needed to get the screen fixed since we moved in. The snake was an oaksnake, and appropriately enough I named him oakley. I don't know a lot about the life of oaksnakes, but he disappeared around the end of October, and I have been worrying about him since then. This morning when I looked out the window, Oakley was back, he was sun bathing on the top of the AC unit. We immediately turned the AC off to make sure he would not accidentally fall in there and get hurt. I spent a long time just looking at him, and I was once again fascinated with nature. His patterns were truly beautiful, and the way he managed to crawl down the side of the AC using all the muscles in his body just amazed me, how did he not fall?

Unfortunately, I am also experiencing another aspect of nature today. A friend of mine from the pool I go to passed away earlier this week, and Tom and I will be attending the funeral in a couple of hours. Funerals are never fun, but they are never the less a part of nature or life.

Maybe the return of Oakley was meant to show me that for every end there is a new beginning. I know that it is probably not Oakley who is out there but that does not make my excitement any less.

I was reminded of the circle of life.

P

Contact email keepinghopejourney@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment