Thursday, July 1, 2010

Playing the Waiting Game....

About a year ago my friend, Mike, had a very sad and upsetting status update on his facebook page. The status said that he had brain cancer, a very serious and aggressive form of brain cancer. What I noticed more than anything else, however, was that he was going to create a blog that would allow everybody to follow his journey. His status also said that he was going to beat it as he wanted to dance at his son's wedding. At the end, he posted a link to the blog. The blog stopped me dead in my tracks, hey, here is a guy who has guts, he is suffering from a very deadly disease, and he is putting himself out there. To me the thought of fighting a serious illness was not nearly as scary as the idea of sharing it with people you love and care about. Over the past year I have followed Mike, not nearly as closely as I probably should have, but Mike has shown me what real courage is, what it means to fight, and what it means to ask for help when needed. All anyone could really do was to offer comfort and prayers, and even though I am not a religious person I prayed. Recently Mike's facebook update stated that his MRI had come back clear, the tumor is gone. Mike will be dancing at Cole's wedding, and I will be waiting for an invitation as I intend to dance as well!

Did our thoughts and prayers help Mike? I don't know, but I do know that I now have a new hero, a person I can only aspire to become. Was Mike's recovery a miracle? probably not, I think science did most of the work. But I do think that all the positive thoughts and prayers helped Mike keep his positive attitude and focus when things got rough, and I do think that staying that positive and focused is a little bit of a miracle.

Did someone or something nudge me to pray even though I did not know what prayer was? I will probably never truly know the answer to it, but I am going to keep looking!

I have posted information about my muscular dystrophy, my Albuterol experiment, and my search for something more than just sea anemones under the pages tab on the blog. Take time to look at them. I told a friend that I was not going to publish my blog about my fight with MD and the Albuterol experiment until I actually had the bottle in my hand. She told me that as far as she was concerned the fight had already started, and that I would still have plenty to say. Right now I am playing the waiting game, my neurologist has agreed to prescribe the Albuterol, he just wants to check with an internist first, thus the waiting game.

1 comment:

  1. A great way to start! I adore your writing and your perspective on courage. Excellent insight on being opening to the possibilities and the mysteries.

    "Good things come to those who wait."

    ReplyDelete