Friday, July 23, 2010

Who is calling who?

Many people say that God has called them, they feel the pull or the drive to do something specific. They do whatever the "calling" is without complaints as there is nothing they would rather do than the job God has asked them to do! I think that over the past months, while working my way through Sproul, I have gotten at least a little bit of an understanding of what God is. I also understand that God may not answer our prayers, or he may answer them in a way we don't understand. All we have to do is have faith in a God who will only do what is best for us, so everything that happens to us, good or bad, will be good in the end. That is a lot of faith to put in someone who is not you! What I still don't understand though is how do people know what God has called them to do? Is it a feeling? A sign?, or is it something else. I am fairly sure they have not received a phone call from a guy with a long white beard telling them what to do! Skeptics may say that these people are acting out of instinct, and who knows, they might be!

I don't know if God has called me, but I do know that I am calling him. I don't expect a miracle to happen I know that I will not magically be healed when I wake up tomorrow morning. But if I have to go from being someone who really never gave Christianity or religion much thought, to a person who believes in God, I would like a little more two way communication!. Every night I try to talk to God for a little while, just to see how it feels. I am not sure if it is prayer. Prayer to me always seems very structured, people have a certain prayer before they eat, before bedtime etc. Is it possible for me to just "talk" to him? and is he listening?

If God has truly nudged me, as several people have indicated that he has, how will I know? How will I make the decision to become a Christian if I choose to? Is it really a choice I have? If there is a God hasn't he already made the decision for me, and no matter what I do the decision will never be mine?. I will probably be taking some detours on my way to wherever I am going, but if God's plan for me is to become a Christian, I bet it is also his plan for me to be curious about other religions including atheism! How will I know when I am at the end of my journey and have found the place where my soul needs to hang its hat? How do you guys know?

Food for thought!

P

Contact email keepinghopejourney@gmail.com

5 comments:

  1. Pernille, you post so many great thoughts that make me really stop and think about things. I have thought of myself as a "Christian" for a long time, but you are helping ME stop and reflect on a lot of my beliefs lately. Your 'talking' to God IS a way of praying. Prayer doesnt't have to be structured...the 'church' just sometimes makes it be structured. I believe prayer can be as simple as Thank You God.. to talking to him for hours. I know it doesn't make sense that he doesn't always seem to answer prayers, but I do think praying may help to get you through these tough times. And the fact that you have these questions and are even questioning all the Christianity stuff is maybe that "nudge". Thank you for your insight. You are helping me, and I am sure others following this blog, along the way. Like I've said so many times, you have brought so much to my life (like not liking fake flowers anymore :), to using real dishes all the time, to liking all different types of food I may have never tried and going to places I would have never visited) plus all the questions regarding my religious beliefs. For this I truly do thank you. Love you lots. Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Deb,

    Thanks for the feedback, I have actually started to use paper plates once in a while ;-) I enjoy thinking about all the questions I am raising. They often times just pop into my head as I am reading or thinking.

    Love ya right back!
    P

    ReplyDelete
  3. P- (are you sick of my two sense yet? Well, for whatever it is worth, here it goes again.....)

    You questioned weather christianity is a "choice." Yes my dear, it is a choice. That is one of God's greatest gifts to us. It is that same free will that caused Eve to eat the apple, thus the fall of mankind.

    Think about it this way. Do you want to "force" people to love you just because you can? Either does God.

    God does know, however, what you will ultimatly choose. He knows the paths you have taken, and what you will take in the future. He knows what choices you will make, and where you will be. That is why He is so amazing. That is why He always knows best-

    In our limited sight we see a situation as "bad." But God sees the long run... he knows where that situation will take you. And, in my life, God's choices have turned out much better than I could have ever planned them to be. :) (I can see that in hindsight- but rarely as I am walking through it.)

    As for "how do you know if God is talking to you?" That is different for everyone. God speaks to everyone differently. I would suggest to begin with asking God for something you need- ie; "peace," or "acceptance of self" or "to forgive someone you haven't been able to forgive." or... anything else that seem most appropriate. Pray about it every day, and see how God changes things in your life..... (HINT: Remember God does not always answer the way we expect or in the time frame we hope for... but, I promise, you WILL hear His "voice.")

    Love you babe!!

    "He who belongs to God hears what God says" John 8:47

    "...let me hear your voice." Songs of Solomon 8:13

    "God has surely listened and heard my voice in prayer." Psalm 66:19

    "If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer." Matthew 21:22

    ReplyDelete
  4. In Eat, Pray, Love, Elizabeth Gilbert comments that praying is talking to God and meditation is listening to God. She goes on to say that she is better at the talking part than the listening.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am also better at talking than listening. I will have to get some practice in one of these days!

    ReplyDelete